Marianne Sampson has been a Consultant Upper Gastrointestinal and Bariatric surgeon since 2009, and practices at the Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust in Reading, as well as Spire Dunedin Hospital, Reading and the Berkshire Independent Hospital Reading. She specialises in laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery for gallstone and gastrointestinal reflux (GERD) disease and hernias, as well as weight loss surgery. She also offers a wide range of diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopic procedures.
Specialist surgical procedures include:
- Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy
- Laparoscopic Common Bile Duct exploration
- Laparoscopic or Open Hernia repair (groin and abdominal wall hernias)
- Laparoscopic antireflux procedures (primary and revisional)
- Laparoscopic Hellers myotomy (for achalasia)
- Laparoscopic splenectomy
- Laparoscopic Roux en Y gastric bypass
- Laparoscopic Gastric Band surgery
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Revisional bariatric surgery Insertion of gastric balloon (Orbera and Obalon)
- Endoscopy Excision of skin lumps/ lesions
Marianne Sampson qualified from the University of Cambridge Medical School in 1996. She undertook her higher surgical training from 2002-2009 in the North East Thames region, including Barts and the London NHS Trust, University College Hospital and Colchester hospital, during which time she did a fellowship at the National Cancer Centre, Tokyo as the recipient of the Cutlers Surgical Prize. She was appointed as a Consultant Upper Gastrointestinal surgeon at the Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust in 2009, since when she has been involved in developing the bariatric surgical services in Reading.
While this was initially limited to gastric band surgery, a wide spectrum of procedures is now offered to patients, including gastric bypass, banding, gastric balloons and sleeve gastrectomy. Marianne has developed an interest in revisional procedures and follow up programmes, for patients to maximise the benefit of their bariatric surgery.
She is an experienced endoscopist and endoscopic trainer.
Marianne sees private patients at Spire Dunedin Hospital, and private weight loss surgery patients at Berkshire Independent Hospital or Dunedin hospital.
Thames Valley General Surgery
0118 336 8818